Sunday, May 30, 2010

Missionary Talk: The Blessings of Missionary Work

Good Afternoon everyone. It is so good to be here with you all even though I am scared to death to be standing up here. And because I am standing up here today, that means there are only 3 days until I enter the MTC. For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Ashleigh Simmons. I will be serving in the New York Utica mission, and like I said, I am reporting on Wednesday! I am so excited, but yet nervous too. So, the bishop gave me the topic of, “The blessings of missionary work.” which works perfect for me since I am going on a mission. We can all participate in missionary work. This is the Lord’s work, and He will help us do it.

Imagine with me for a minute what your life would be like if you didn’t have the blessings of the Gospel…… Have you ever felt a sense of gratitude for the blessings you enjoy each day?…… Have you ever experienced the warmth that floods your heart when you have shared your feelings with others and could sense their receptiveness?…… That warmth is the love of Christ burning within your soul and needing to be shared. I have for sure felt this love in my heart. We really are so blessed to have the Gospel!

Before now, I never saw myself going on a mission. When people would ask me as a child and young woman if I wanted to serve a mission, I would always say No way!!! Not me!!! I had my many reasons why. But once I graduated High School, started college, and was a little more independent, I started searching for myself and who I really was. As I was searching, a question came to my head. The question was, “Do I want to serve a mission? Do I really want to go on a mission? I could go on a mission.”

Right then, a mission became a possibility for me. For about a year and a half, this thought was constantly on my mind. I continued to pray, and ask my Heavenly Father if I was supposed to go on a mission. As I did this, I continued to prepare, and learn more. I figured whether I went on a mission or not, preparing for one wouldn’t hurt. It would definitely be beneficial. I still didn’t see myself going on a mission, but the option was there. Deciding on going on a mission wasn’t easy. But now that I have made the decision, and am about to embark on this wonderful adventure, I couldn’t be a happier person and know for sure that what I am about to do is a part of Heavenly Father’s plan for me and that He will help me every step of the way!

In Preach My Gospel it says, “As your understanding of the Atonement of Jesus Christ grows, your desire to share the gospel will increase.” I have seen this in my own life! As I have learned more about Jesus Christ, and grown closer to Him, my desire to share the Gospel with others has increased. I want everyone to feel the joy I feel knowing the truth. Knowing who I am, and having a relationship with Jesus Christ has been a major blessing in my life.

The Lord’s Church has the responsibility to preach the gospel in the world. This is the foundation of missionary work. In Preach My Gospel, the first chapter is titled “My Purpose.” My purpose as a missionary is to “invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.”

When we experience the blessings of gospel living, we naturally want to share those blessings with others. The Lord spoke of the joy that comes into our lives when we share His gospel: in (D&C 18:15-16) it says “If it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my father!” “And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!”

The Lord has declared that missionary work is the responsibility of all Latter-day Saints (see D&C 88:81) says “Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor.” As a member of the Lord’s Church, you can, by goodness of your life and strength of your testimony, help prepare your family members, friends, neighbors, and other acquaintances to meet with the full-time missionaries.

The most powerful missionary message you can send is your own example of living a happy Latter-day Saint life. Remember that people do not join the church only because of gospel principles they learn. They join because they feel something that begins to satisfy their spiritual needs. If you are sincere in your friendship with them, they will be able to feel the spirit of your testimony and happiness.

After His resurrection, the Lord commanded His disciples in (Matthew 28:19) to “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost”. In fulfillment of this command, able young men in the Church have a duty to prepare spiritually, physically, and emotionally to serve as full-time missionaries. Single women and mature couples also have the opportunity to serve full-time missions. I am so grateful for this wonderful opportunity I have to serve a full-time mission. Many of the general authorities have said many times that their missions are the foundation of their lifetime of service. I am sure this is true for all who have served missions, and I know it will be a part of me for the rest of my life.

President Ezra Taft Benson taught: “We are commanded by God to take the gospel to all the world. That is the cause that must unite us today. Only the gospel will save the world from the calamity of its own self-destruction. Only the gospel will unite men of all races and nationalities in peace. Only the gospel will bring joy, happiness, and salvation to the human family.”

President Kimball once called missionary work the lifeblood of the Church, and indeed it is. It’s not only because new converts give the Church vitality and strength, but the missionaries themselves gain a new measure of vitality and strength as they participate in the convert’s commitment to Christ. This vitality and strength is a mighty force, an instrument in God’s hands to cause the gospel to roll forth and fill the whole earth.

The message of the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ blesses families. Because of the Restoration we understand God’s purpose for families: “The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.” I love this! As I missionary, I am not just helping families towards baptism. I am also helping them work towards entering the temple and receiving all the blessings held within.

On earth, family associations can be the source of some of our greatest joy. Satan is attacking the family on many fronts, and too many families are being destroyed by his efforts. The message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ makes it possible for families to be united now and in eternity. By living the principles of the gospel, families can experience peace, joy, and a sense of belonging and identity in this life. Through the light of the gospel, families can resolve misunderstandings, contentions, and challenges. Families torn by discord can be healed through repentance, forgiveness, and faith in the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. “Happiness in family life most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained in principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, and work.

I am so grateful for my Family, so to know that with the sacred ordinances and covenants available in the Temples I can now be with my family eternally is so wonderful to me. It gives me comfort in every aspect of my life.

I would like to end my talk with a scripture passage. It is kind of long, so bear with me. I love Alma chapter 26. In (Alma 26:11-16) it says, “But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.

Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many might miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

Behold, how many thousands of our brethren has he loosed from the pains of hell; and they are brought to sing redeeming love, and this because of the power of his word which is in us, therefore have we not great reason to rejoice?

Yea, they were encircled about with everlasting darkness and destruction; but behold, he has brought them into everlasting light, yea, into everlasting salvation; and they are encircled about with the matchless bounty of his love; yea, and we have been instruments in his hands of doing this great and marvelous work.

Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his longsuffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part of which I feel.”

I just love verse 12. I will read it again. Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many might miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever. I am definitely nothing. I know that I can only do this work with the Lord. This is the Lord’s work and He will help me, and every single one of us do it.

I am so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ. Without him, where would I be today? Only faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His Atonement can bring us peace, hope, and understanding, which I have found to be true many times in my life. I am grateful for my testimony that has grown tremendously, I am grateful for the opportunities in my life to look for and see the hand of the Lord in my life. I am grateful for Trials and for all the lessons I have learned from them and for how much they have strengthened me. I am so grateful for this gospel and the joy and happiness it has brought into my life. I have grown so much!
I know this church is the one and only true church! I know it with all of my heart! I know that we are all divine children of a Heavenly Father. And I know my Heavenly Father Loves me, and every single one of you. I feel His love every single day, Whether through other people, through His tender mercies. I know that if we follow Heavenly Fathers plan for us, we will one day be able to live with him again. I know that the lord works through other people to help us return to Him. I am so grateful for the knowledge that we have a Heavenly Father that will never leave us alone. To know that I can pray to him whenever and wherever I am, and he will listen. I know when we pray we will always receive an answer. It may not be the answer we wanted, or when we wanted it, but we will receive one. We just need to be ready for it. I know that the Atonement is a reality and that Christ suffered for our sins so we could live with him again. He is the ultimate example. I know that Jesus Christ did come, He did live and he will come again. My testimony I leave with you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog Ashleigh. Can hardly wait to hear about all of your experiences as a missionary. We love you!

    ReplyDelete